Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Book 25: Buffalo Lockjaw and a DNF

Title: Buffalo Lockjaw
Author: Greg Ames
Copyright Date: 2009
Rating: 2
Notes: I've struggled with my reactions to this book. And it comes down to the fact that I didn't like it. And I'm sad that I didn't like it. I understood where the author was trying to go with the story - James is trying to deal with his mother's decline due to Alzheimer's - but it didn't work for me. The narrator, James, was whiny and it just overwhelmed the book for me. I do want to thank Gail at Everyday I Write the Book Blog for sending me a copy of the book and for hosting the book discussion.

DNF = Did Not Finish = a sad, sad thing

Title: The Eleventh Man
Author: Ivan Doig
Copyright Date: 2008
Rating: DNF
Notes: I hate that I'm not going to finish this book. It is beautifully written. I made it almost half way through, but the plot and the characters just aren't interesting me. I read the last few pages to see if that might entice me to finish it, but no. It's about the members of a winning college football team and what happens to them during WWII. So if you like beautifully written books, the west, football, planes or WWII, then you might love this book. I did not.

And now I hope I can move out of this reading funk.

1 comment:

Serena said...

I hate when i can't finish a book, but its better to not waste your time on those and read ones you enjoy.